Sunday, May 13, 2012

Bath Time Worship


This is, by far, my favorite time of day.  I don't really remember how the tradition started, but somehow we got into the habit of Tim playing guitar and singing worship songs during bath time.  You can imagine how much the girls love it too, right?  And normally Lainie is in the tub with her older sister, spashing away to the music.  It's heaven.  The last few times we've done it, I've stopped to think about why I am SO happy in these moments.  There are some more obvious reasons, like the one about the music slightly drowning out the whining as water gets in eyes or sisters steal toys.  I just sing louder and pretend I can't hear.  Is that bad?  Let's pretend it isn't.  For my sake.

The more prominent reason I've realized I love this time so much is actually pretty simple.  It's my little family, all in one little room, singing worship songs to the Giver of....well, everything.  I love it when I've finally finished washing the girls, and I get to just sit there and sing along while looking at the two biggest gifts I've ever been given.  Powerful stuff.  My favorite song we sing talks about having a thankful heart.  I don't know the title, nor who originally wrote it, but it goes something like this:

Many men will drink the rain
And turn and thank the sky
Many men will hear your words
But they will never change their minds
I will not forget you
You are my God, my King
With a thankful heart I bring this offering
And my sacrifice is not what You can give
But what I alone can give to you
A grateful heart I give
A thankful prayer I pray
A wild dance I dance before you

I remember singing this song in college, at a time when I was trying to figure life itself out.  I felt alone a lot, which was necesary and ultimately a good thing.  And while I had much to be thankful for (health, family, getting to go to a fantastic college), my loneliness often competed with the grateful heart.  So this song was a reminder to me to refocus.  Nine years later, I am singing this song and forcing back tears because I am overwhelmed by how blessed I feel and how grateful my heart has become.  Sophie and Alaina are constant reminders to me of God's incredible generosity.  I am so very thankful He has entrusted them to me.  And of course thankful for the gift of song, the healing power of praise, and the lovely smell of squeaky clean kiddos. :)

1 comment:

MrLeRoyLee said...

"I will not forget you". I love that song as well. That is a great tradition you have there.

In The Beginning There Was Tim, Melissa, and a Baby Bump

In The Beginning There Was Tim, Melissa, and a Baby Bump
The Journey Begins